The media would have Americans believe that President Trump cares only about a border wall. But as Mollie Hemingway notes in the Federalist, a reading of the proposal Trump sent to Congress on January 6, shows a lot more than a 234 mile barrier.
- 75 additional immigration judges and support staff to reduce the immigration backlog,
- 750 additional Border Patrol agents,
- 2,000 additional law enforcement personnel and support staff to address gang violence, smuggling, trafficking, and the spread of drugs,
- 52,000 detention beds,
- $800 million to address urgent humanitarian needs,
- $675 million for “Non-Intrusive Inspection (NII) technology at inbound lanes at U.S. Southwest Border Land Ports of Entry” to “allow CBP to deter and detect more contraband, including narcotics, weapons, and other materials that pose nuclear and radiological threats”
- statutory changes to permit in-country processing capacities for asylum processing
Read more from Ms. Hemingway here.