Is there a household in America that isn’t praying it won’t run out of toilet paper? Apparently from the empty shelves in the paper goods section of any big/little store, the country desperately wants reassurances that TP will be back in stock on a regular basis.
But as the editors in the WSJ write, Senator Chuck Schumer and Rep Nancy Pelosi don’t seem upset that Americans are panicking. Instead, they seem to be listening to Majority Whip James Clyburn.
“Restructuring Things to Fit Our Vision”
Clyburn is advising Democrats to view the crisis as a “tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.”
Nancy Pelosi’s Ideological Wish List – Zero to Do with Coronavirus
The Pelosi bill includes “an ideological wish list that has nothing to do with the coronavirus.”
- The House’s failed “election reform”—requiring states to allow early voting, mail-in voting, and same-day voter registration.
- A Green New Deal mandate on airlines to offset their “carbon emissions” and publish CO2 emissions for each flight.
- Any loan recipient to provide permanent paid leave and a $15 minimum wage.
- Borrowers would not be allowed to pay a bonus to an executive or dividends to shareholders.
- Companies would have to provide statistics on “gender, race, and ethnic identity” of their board members.
Nothing like a Deadly Virus to Woke the Country
Democrats are trying to jam Mr. McConnell and President Trump to accept in a crisis what the left couldn’t pass in normal times. By our deadline Tuesday, Mr. Schumer had still refused to compromise.
If Democrats refuse, they deserve to be held responsible for the damage to markets and the economy from putting partisanship above the national interest.
P.S. In the Age of Coronavirus: a Homemade Throat Sanitizer.
P.P.S. If you can’t find hand-sanitizer, you can make your own.