Puzzled over how one after another of President Obama’s legacy initiatives are being so easily dismantled? Obama never executed in a bipartisan spirit his tissue-thin executive orders, explains the American Thinker. From treaties to ObamaCare, Obama issued executive orders on his own. His one legislative achievement—ACA—was passed into law on a mono-partisan basis.
- The Paris Accord on global warming was done unilaterally, never mind what the American people thought of it, the validity of the science, or the jobs it cost.
- The designation of large swaths of the West for environmental “national monuments” was done without the consent of the states involved.
- The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program was basically an executive order, enacted after Congress refused to pass the DREAM Act.
- The large free trade pact known as the Trans Pacific Partnership was the work of professional negotiators, not lawmakers, with opponents saying they were shut out of seeing the contents.
- The Cuba rapprochement and the Iran deal were done by presidential fiat rather than treaty, which would have involved Congress – and there was plenty of contempt for the public.
- The Iran deal, in fact, was sold to the public after the fact through lies.
- The encouragement of transgenders in the military was also done by executive fiat.
- ObamaCare itself failed to attract a single Republican vote and was passed only by exerting muscle on every single Democrat for passage.
While he was president, Obama never spent time engaging Congress to “create a lasting legacy by building consensus or creating a bipartisan basis for legislation. In ruling by fiat and bypassing Congress, President Obama left the Democratic Party in tatters, losing more than 1,000 state and federal offices.”
Read more from Monica Showwalter here.