America is an automobile powered country, and Americans spend a great deal of time in their vehicles. According to a report from AAA released in September, Americans spend more than 290 hours on the road each year. But while driving, people are the most exposed to disaster they’ll likely be in a day.
Whether a tire blowout, a blizzard, or a major pileup on the highway, when disaster strikes, you better know what you have available to help you strike back. Writing at Spotterup.com, Tranquillo has created a list of 11 Things You Should Keep in Your Car. Here’s a sample:
- Cell phone charger that plugs into your car: let’s face it- we pretty much rely on our cellphones for just about everything from banking to navigating – so unless you’re planning on buying a good ol’ fashioned map- better bring your cell charger. Plus it comes in pretty handy when there are emergencies.
- Flashlight, but Preferably a Headlamp: Blowing a tire on the 101 Interstate at night sucks (or any road for that matter!), but what sucks more is lying next to your car with your head approximately 2 ft away from oncoming semis and trying to get the lug nuts off with a flashlight in-between your teeth while you are cranking on the tire iron….get a headlamp. Black diamond makes good ones at reasonable prices.
- A Gallon of Water: You never know when you might get stuck on the side of the road for hours – this is especially important in hot climates.
- First Aid Kit: This isn’t just for minor accidents, but for when you are at the beach or a party, camping, etc… It is not a bad idea to have basic pain meds, bandages, ice packs, heat packs, splinting material, aloe-vera, sunscreen, Chapstick, etc…The list could go on and on, the idea is that you customize it to your needs. Make sure you know what is in your FA Kit and how to use it. If you put in drugs such as Benadryl or Advil, know when to give it and how much. YouTube is a great research for learning basic first aid.
Read more here.
Car Survival Kit
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Should the GOP Cut Taxes Even if it Raises the Deficit? - September 21, 2017
- Shotguns: How to Make them Better - September 20, 2017
- Are You Ready for Range Day? - September 19, 2017