America, if not the world, is angry. China has been lethally dishonest over the coronavirus outbreak. It may be a long time before the world can be confident of the “safety and reliability of Chinese exports,” writes Victor Davis Hanson in NRO.
- China’s overseas brand is tarnished. Importers can never again be sure of the safety or reliability of Chinese exports. They will know only that their producer is a serial falsifier that is capable of anything to ensure power and profits.
- Even China’s vaunted propaganda machine that slanders its critics as racists and xenophobes no longer works. The sheer number of countries that have suffered huge human and financial losses from Chinese lying won’t believe another word from Beijing.
- China was beginning to lose the trade war with the U.S. even before the virus struck.
- Americans think that China is huge, powerful, and rich. In truth, Chinese per capita income is about a sixth of America’s.
- China produces only about two-thirds the nominal GDP of the United States despite having over four times as many people.
- Hundreds of millions of rural Chinese remain trapped in poverty.
- Beijing should expect that lots of industries will return to the U.S.
- Thousands of Chinese students and researchers will likely return to China. Their absorption of American science and technology was critical to Chinese industry.
China Will Become More Belligerent
Don’t expect China to meekly accept its reduced post-viral status. As international pressure builds, China will become more provocative and desperate than ever, warns VDH.
The United Nations has been mostly absent during the global pandemic. The two democracies that the U.N. treats the worst, Israel and Taiwan, have done superbly during the crisis — in exactly the opposite fashion as U.N. pet China.
It would have been better for all had the U.N.’s duplicitous appendage, the World Health Organization, been silent as well.
WHO Responsible for Ruined Lives and Economies
WHO parroted Chinese propaganda and did its own part to delay the world’s response to the virus, costing thousands of lives and destroying trillions of dollars of economic output.
Don’t expect international health organizations or U.N.-supported transnational committees to defeat coronavirus.
Instead, bilateral scientific cooperation between Western countries will find vaccines and antidotes, not unaccountable and subsidized international associations.
If you’re willing to fight for Main Street America, click here to sign up for the Richardcyoung.com free weekly email.