It’s incredibly expensive to live in the Greater Boston area. Median rents for a one bedroom are up 3.6% from last year according to RentHop. Breaking the city up into pieces according to the MBTA (subway) gives you an idea of the Boston market. Living near the T (subway) can be at or near the top of priorities for apartment shoppers.
RentHop makes it easy for renters to see the difference in price between areas surrounding each stop on the T. And they estimate the savings accrued by living near some of the stations:
Ride the Train to Savings
Would you travel an extra stop to save a couple hundred dollars?How about for nearly $1,000? We dug deep into the data for the best single stop rent savings and found some useful results.
The list below represents the largest price disparities between a single stop. This could be because they are on the edge of a neighborhood, rents dropped at one stop, prices soared at the other, or all of the above. It’s also possible that the typical one bedroom apartment near one stop is very different from an apartment just one stop away.
Turn your commute into extra cash at these stops
- Save $977.50 between Back Bay ($3,377.50) and Massachusetts Ave ($2,400) – Orange Line
- Save $970 by heading past Broadway ($2,925) to Andrew ($1,955) – Red Line
- Save $860 between Longwood ($2,860) and Brookline Village ($2,000) – Green Line ‘D’ Branch
- Save $860 by moving from the Community College stop ($3,010) to Sullivan Sq ($2,150) – Orange Line
- Save $750 between Prudential ($3,100) and Symphony ($2,350) – Green Line ‘E’ Branch
- Save $600 between Union Park St ($2,850) and Massachusetts Ave ($2,250) – Silver Line
While many Millennials are attempting to find rentals with easy commutes, I have urged them to look deeper and consider buying a home. Read here for more.
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Preparing Yourself for the Next Disaster: Water Storage - October 17, 2017
- Preparing Yourself for the Next Disaster: Water Requirements - October 16, 2017
- Buffett’s Flying J Invests in the Energy Revolution - October 13, 2017