Grass fed to finish cattle, with zero corn, is the key to the best beef. At The Wall Street Journal Pervaiz Shallwani explains:
In the U.S., nearly all cattle spend their first months consuming predominantly grass and mother’s milk. It’s during what’s known as finishing that grain-fed and grass-fed cattle part ways. About 97% of our beef cattle consume at least some grain to speed weight gain, allowing them to be slaughtered at 18-20 months. The remaining, grass-fed 3% graze throughout their lives and are typically slaughtered at 20-28 months, and sometimes older.
The best way to make sure you’re getting genuine—and tasty—grass-fed beef is to buy from a reputable butcher who can provide all the information you want on how the cattle was raised and recommend a cut that’s right for you. …After talking to experts and cooking many pounds of meat, I learned that the tastiest grass-fed beef comes from cattle allowed to graze for 28 months or longer. The beef should have a good marbling of fat, a rich color and a slight smell of the grass on which it’s grazed
To be sure of exactly what you’re getting—and buy the best cuts available—visit a good local butcher offering grass-fed beef. Ask about the farm, how the cattle are fed and the age at which they’re slaughtered. Inquire about dry-aging, too, as this process enhances both flavor and tenderness.
Read more here.
Dr. Mercola and Joey Jones On Grass-Fed Beef Production
Latest posts by Richard C. Young (see all)
- Immigration, the Unifying Force of Europe’s Right Wing - February 15, 2019
- Minnesota Muslim Rep. Omar Off the Rails Again - February 15, 2019
- “Liberty Has Been Supplanted by Diversity,” Justice by Equality - February 15, 2019