A Key West citizen reports at Keysnews.com that most of the Keys’ bridges have been inspected, and have held up. Road repairs could begin today and the military has dispatched with medical supplies to aid those who didn’t evacuate. The citizen writes:
As of Monday afternoon, the Florida Department of Transportation had conducted safety inspections of most of Florida Key’s 42 bridges down to mail marker 16, according to Monroe County Commissioner Heather Carruthers.
“Some of the bridges have been washed over, but they are not impassible,” she said.
Asphalt replacement along the portion of U.S. 1 at Sea Oats Beach on Lower Matecumbe Key could start as early as Tuesday, Carruthers said.
Meanwhile, bulldozers started clearing streets in Key West. The body of a man was found there Monday, but authorities don’t know yet if his death was related to the hurricane.
Military C-130 cargo planes will be bringing medical supplies to Keys airports to make sure local hospitals are sufficiently stocked to ensure the safety of rescue and recovery crews, Carruthers said.
Power is out in Key West along with cell service. The website will be updated as soon as it is possible to do so. Officials are currently assessing the damage and will be releasing statements soon.
It appears so far that the heaviest damage was between Cudjoe Key and Big Pine, along with Summerland Key and Big Coppitt.
Latest posts by Richard C. Young (see all)
- The Mike Pompeo Iran Ultimatum - May 25, 2018
- John Bolton: America’s Real National Security Risk - May 25, 2018
- Russia “A Long Way” From Matching Peer Competitors - May 24, 2018