First, a special thanks to the grownups for costing us an arm and a leg at the gasoline pump. Each time I fill up at the gas station, I am reminded how lucky we are to have sensible adults running our country.
About 18 months ago, the new administration bragged that the “grownups were back in charge,” Kimberley Strassel reminds readers in the WSJ. Since then, this is what the Biden grownups have presided over:
- a humiliating evacuation from Afghanistan, Covid vaccine confusion and drug shortages
- a border free-for-all
- an inflationary spiral
- an eye-watering energy prices
- even a baby-formula shortage.
Most of these fiascoes resulted from failures of judgment or competence. Yet the administration hasn’t helped itself by helping a few off the job.
The Biden cabinet is a study in attention deficit disorder, continues Ms. Strassel.
- Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas might be handling a border crisis were he not busy interviewing Mary Poppinses to head a “disinformation board.”
- Attorney General Merrick Garland is too tied up tracking parents at school-board meetings to tackle violent crime.
- Interior Secretary Deb Haaland blew through a deadline for a new offshore leasing plan to increase oil supply, focused as she is on creating a “Truth and Healing Commission.”
- Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg —charged with unsnarling Covid supply-chain snags—was last seen unveiling a $1 billion pilot project to promote “racial equity” in America’s roads.
- Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra, was last seen . . . never.
Why, wonders Ms. Strassel, won’t Joe Biden fire anyone?
No one is being held responsible for the administrations many blunders.
Which leads to another dangerous, disconcerting question, who is running the show?