Diversity is the battle cry of progressives, who seemingly obsess over sex, race and sexual orientation. In the WSJ, Dave Seminara presents a list on display at Barnes & Noble on “Inspiring Books to Empower Young Readers.”
- “First Generation: 36 Trailblazing Immigrants and Refugees Who Make America Great,” which lionizes, among others, Univision anchorman Jorge Ramos and the first fashion model to wear a hijab.
- Three memoirs by illegal aliens, two novels whose protagonists were refugees.
- “Turning Pages: My Life Story,” by Sonia Sotomayor.
- “You are Mighty: A Guide to Changing the World,” a “how-to manual on being an activist.” It features Genesis Palacio, a preteen girl wearing a “Vegan Power” T-shirt who became a vegetarian when she was 3 after learning that “animals were killed” for her food. (Barnes & Noble stores in other cities told me they have similar displays; the chain’s corporate office didn’t answer my emails.)
- “We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices,” an anthology that includes a fictional story of a child who is arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents at school as he endures taunts from white classmates wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.
Yes, there are some conservative-themed children’s books out there, notes Mr. Seminara. “But you have to seek out these subversive titles like pornography before the Internet.”
There’s “Donald Drains the Swamp” by Eric Metaxas, author of an excellent biography of Martin Luther. And who could resist “What’s Right,” the story of Stumpy, a squirrel who learns that “expecting handouts is wrong and working hard is right.”
Liberals are devoted to diversity, but they define it in a peculiar way—obsessing over race, sex and sexual orientation while demanding conformity of thought. The folks who put together the Barnes & Noble display probably never considered that there are literate Americans who wish to expose their children to ideas outside the liberal orthodoxy.
Read more here.
Latest posts by Debbie Young (see all)
- Bernie’s Silence – His Signature Policy a Failure in His Own State - January 22, 2020
- What Happens after Impeachment Fails? - January 21, 2020
- Martin Luther King’s Leadership, Moral Imagination, Strategic Genius - January 20, 2020