According to the BP Statistical Review of World Energy for 2022, renewable energy generation rapidly increased in 2021, but demand for oil still grew by 5.3 million barrels per day. The Review reports:
BP today released the 71st annual edition of the bp Statistical Review of World Energy, the most comprehensive collection and analysis of global energy data.
Key findings from the 2022 edition include:
* In 2021, energy consumption increased by almost 6%, more than reversing the sharp fall in 2020 as much of the world locked down.
* Renewable energy, led by wind and solar power, continued to grow strongly in 2021 and now accounts for 13% of total power generation.
* Overall global emissions rose 5.7% in 2021, registering close to 2019 levels.
* Renewable generation (excluding hydro) increased by almost 17% in 2021 and accounted for over half of the increase in global power generation over the past two years.
* Global gas demand grew 5.3%, increasing above pre-pandemic 2019 levels.
* Oil consumption increased by 5.3 million barrels per day.
Read the entire report here.
If you’re willing to fight for Main Street America, click here to sign up for my free weekly email.