On his blog, Mercola.com, Dr. Joseph Mercola points to vitamin D deficiency as a key risk to COVID-19, and points to studies concluding that seasonal influenza is related to vitamin D deficiency. He writes (abridged):
- A scientific review published in 2006 concluded that epidemic seasonal influenza is most likely related to the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency during winter months. Since then, other studies have confirmed this theory
- A 2010 study found there’s an inverse relationship between UVB sun exposure — which is how your body synthesizes vitamin D naturally — and influenza deaths
- Vitamin D protects against tuberculosis, a fatal lung disease that kills an estimated 1.8 million people around the world each year
- According to recent research, 82.2% of COVID-19 patients tested were found to be deficient in vitamin D, and vitamin D status has been shown to influence your risk of testing positive for COVID-19, hospitalization rates and need for intensive care, as well as your risk of dying from the infection
- Vitamin D can reduce your risk of COVID-19 and other respiratory infections by reducing the survival and replication of viruses, reducing inflammatory cytokine production, maintaining endothelial integrity and increasing ACE2 concentrations, which helps lower COVID-19 severity
Dr. Joseph Mercola
Read more here.
If you’re willing to fight for Main Street America, click here to sign up for my free weekly email.