A brief from Monroe County, Florida’s COVID-19 information site on how Key West’s airport is being run during the pandemic response.
Will airports remain open? What’s Monroe County doing to protect our residents?
KEY WEST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Until further notice, all arriving passengers regardless of origination will be screened at Key West International and Marathon Florida Keys International airports.
- All persons arriving by aircraft who deplane at Key West International Airport and the Florida Keys Marathon International Airport shall be screened for COVID19 using protocols developed by the Monroe County Health Department as approved by the Director of Airports.
- Screenings may be conducted by personnel of the Monroe County Health Department, Monroe County Fire Rescue Department, and, when requested by the Monroe County Fire Chief, personnel of any municipal fire department as approved by the Director of Airports.
- Each person screened shall isolate or quarantine at that person’s own expense for a period of 14 days or the duration of that persons stay in the County, whichever is shorter.
- All persons screened shall be provided with a copy of this Directive.
- Violations of this order shall be punishable pursuant to F.S. 252.50, with a period of incarceration of up to 60 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.00. Additional charges may be prosecuted if other statutes are violated.
Florida Department of Health in Monroe County and the airports have implemented state-directed screening, which includes a separate facility and isolation area. Passengers will fill out the Dept. of Health-required questionnaire and have their temperatures taken. The Florida Department of Health in Monroe County trained Monroe County Fire Rescue to provide the follow up for individuals listed in the executive order.
- Key West International Airport continues to operate, pursuant to and consistent with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Transportation Security Administration. Airports are regulated by the FAA, and no airports in the United States have been restricted. Any restriction on aviation would be issued from the federal level. In addition to commercial planes, the airport also hosts general aviation, which is also regulated by the FAA.
- There has been a significant decrease in commercial air travel due to COVID-19. Most flights from the areas in the directive are canceled or consolidated. On average, passenger counts this time of year range in the 70 to 124 passengers per flight. Due to the virus, it has been between two and 10 people, most of whom have been residents or property owners.
- Monroe County Emergency Directive 20-04
Naval Air Station Key West
Closed to all recreational visitors until further notice.
If you’re willing to fight for Main Street America, click here to sign up for my free weekly email.