The label Paleo-Conservative does not jump out at most Americans. What does Paleo-Conservative mean and why do I believe that a big percentage of Americans can relate to Paleo-Conservative thinking in direct opposition to progressive, Democrat thought or neocon-based Republican thinking?
American Conservative (published by my friend John Basil Utley) contributor Rod Dreher in the Dallas Morning News has offered a neat multi-element outline on the basics of Paleo-Conservative thought. I summarize Rod’s outline below.
- We are conservatives who stand outside the conservative mainstream.
- Modern conservatism has become too focused on money, power, and the accumulation of stuff.
- Big business deserves as much skepticism as big government.
- Culture is more important than politics and economics.
- Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract.
- The relentless media- driven pop culture deadens our senses to authentic truth, beauty, and wisdom.
- We share Russell Kirk’s conviction that ‘ the institution most essential to conserve is the family.
Latest posts by Richard C. Young (see all)
- The DACA Options: What Should Trump do Now? - September 19, 2017
- Dick Young’s Short Term Bull & Bear Portfolio (STBB) - September 18, 2017
- Will Maria Be Next to Slam Florida? Texas? - September 18, 2017