The label Paleo-Conservative does not jump out at most Americans. What does Paleo-Conservative mean and why do I believe that a big percentage of Americans can relate to Paleo-Conservative thinking in direct opposition to progressive, Democrat thought or neocon-based Republican thinking?
American Conservative (published by my friend John Basil Utley) contributor Rod Dreher in the Dallas Morning News has offered a neat multi-element outline on the basics of Paleo-Conservative thought. I summarize Rod’s outline below.
- We are conservatives who stand outside the conservative mainstream.
- Modern conservatism has become too focused on money, power, and the accumulation of stuff.
- Big business deserves as much skepticism as big government.
- Culture is more important than politics and economics.
- Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract.
- The relentless media-driven pop culture deadens our senses to authentic truth, beauty, and wisdom.
- We share Russell Kirk’s conviction that ‘ the institution most essential to conserve is the family.
Originally posted August 21, 2014.
If you’re willing to fight for Main Street America, click here to sign up for my free weekly email.