The former NBC “Nightly News” anchor, Tom Brokaw compared the impeachment inquiry of President Trump to a “television game show” versus the “serious” treatment of President Nixon’s impeachment.
Lack of Fairness and Transparency
In Wednesday’s speech, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell brought up the glaring deficiencies in the House impeachment proceedings, reports Kimberley Strassel in the WSJ.
The Kentuckian excoriated it for its lack of fairness and transparency, and listed the affronts to due process:
- The secret hearings
- The refusal to let Republicans call witnesses or obtain answers
- The exclusion of Mr. Trump’s legal counsel from the proceedings
And he noted, Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s resolution would include no guarantee of a remedy.
The Democratic approach, Mr. McConnell said, amounts to: “No due process now, maybe some later, but only if we feel like it.”
Given the Democrats secrecy and one-sided approach, it is impossible for Republicans to talk about the substance of the case, KS continues.
Due process is at the heart of America’s system of ordered liberty, and the “evidence” Democrats are secretly compiling in the basement of the House is already soiled.
Read more here.
Latest posts by Debbie Young (see all)
- The Guilty Billionaire vs Bernie’s Socialism - February 22, 2020
- Coronavirus and China: Like Something out of “1984” - February 21, 2020
- Bloomberg Needs to Embrace His Record - February 20, 2020