Cabals, like Georgetown University Law Center (Dean William Treanor), in berating Ilya Shapiro, force their presumed moral authority on their lemming-like audience. Anything that runs contrary to these self-serving Grandees’ conceptions of race, hierarchy, intersectionality is open hunting season.
Mr. Shapiro, previously VP and director of Cato Institute’s Robert A. Levy Center for Constitutional Studies, deleted what he called a poorly written post and apologized, writing:
“I meant no offense, but it was an inartful tweet.”
In an email to the Georgetown community, Mr. Shapiro explained that his “intent was to convey my opinion that excluding potential Supreme Court candidates, most notably Chief Judge Srinivasan, simply because of their race or gender, was wrong and harmful to the long term reputation of the Court. It was not to cast aspersions on the qualifications of a whole group of people, let alone question their worth as human beings.”
Good Faith vs Georgetown’s Smear Campaign
Shapiro’s message was eminently reasonable, according to NRO (Nate Hochman): “A person’s dignity and worth simply do not, and should not, depend on any immutable characteristic” — and should have been easily discernible to anyone reading in good faith.
Defend Free Speech
There is a way America can clamp down on these congenitally deficient gaping maws. In an unrelated article, a WSJ reader offered ways Americans can strengthen our Founding Fathers’ views for an “open, robust, liberal” culture and negate the sniveling celebrity malarkey.
What America Can Champion
- Make government local. Support smaller government, close to home.
- Encourage individual incentive and achievement by championing free market capitalism.
- Stimulate the economy through lower taxes. Keep money in wage earners’ pockets. Who better to decide how to spend their hard-earned money?
- Today’s labor unions, originally created to protect workers, protect the status quo, impeding progress and protecting poor performance.
- Give a man a fish and continue his reliance on government subsidies. Many social programs have kept generations dependent. Teach a man to fish, and he will have the tools for a lifetime of self-sufficiency.
- Help the vulnerable – those in need of a boost. Rather than promoting government aid, support local groups and organizations that help those in need.
Equality Not Equity
- Regardless of sexual orientation, race, religion or other differences used to separate people, every person has a right to equal opportunities and protection under the law. Equality, not equity.
- Welcome lawful immigration and challenge illegal immigration. Citizens have the right to vote in safe, legal elections where election integrity is enhanced by presenting a form of identification.
If you’re willing to fight for Main Street America, click here to sign up for the Richardcyoung.com free weekly email.