Originally posted June 6, 2022.
The Tipping Point
Where is the tipping point, asks Victor Davis Hanson in American Greatness, for the attack on American values? At some point, will a resilient America notice?
VDH’s Premises for “Tipping Points.”
- 120 days in 2020 of mass rioting, $2 billion in damage, some 35 killed, and 1,500 police injured.
- Afghanistan, and our utter and complete military humiliation.There was no problem in abandoning some $70-80 billion in military loot to terrorists. Who cares that we tossed off a billion-dollar new embassy, and jettisoned a $300-million refitted air base, as long as our pride flags were waving in Kabul?
- Restructure all our universities, eliminate free expression and speech, and institute Maoist cultural revolutionary fervor in our revered institutions of higher learning—once the world’s greatest levers of scientific advancement and technological progress.
- Jettison merit in every endeavor, from banning the world’s great books to grading math tests to running chemistry experiments. And still, a resilient America won’t notice.
- The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution—our natural bounty in North America, our cherished rule of law, our legal immigration traditions that drew in the most audacious and hardworking on the planet, and our guarantees of personal freedom and liberty led to such staggering wealth and affluence that nothing much that this mediocre generation could do would ever endanger our resilience.
An Inheritances Not Written in Stone
Fragile America is the world’s only successful multiracial democratic republic, Mr. Hanson warns readers. Should anyone be foolish enough to “mock its past, dismantle its institutions, revert to tribalism, redistribute rather than create wealth, consume rather than invest,” America has always been and is one generation from disappearing.
Ruining the Economy in Just 16 Months
What happens if you shut down refineries, put our rich oil and natural gas fields off limits, cancel pipelines, and demonize the fossil fuel industry? Prices for carbon fuels explode.
The Natural Corrective to Unaffordable Fuel
What is going to happen in America? If America succumbs to a recession or depression, what will happen to the middle class? Who will be able to afford to pay $6-9-a gallon gas? That will mean no driving, no visits to friends no vacations …
Gas will stabilize at near European levels. The people, as planned by DC, will be rerouted into dirty and unsafe subways and mass transit.
(Joe) Biden will be happy. But America won’t be the same mobile country.
If you’re willing to fight for Main Street America, click here to sign up for the Richardcyoung.com free weekly email.